Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Week 7/8:Last call for surgeries/Contemplating research direction

Week 7 was essentially our (mine and Aarons) last week in the hospital seeing patients/observing surgeries/etc. which we’ve become so used to the flow of things. Our last week Dr. Spector would be traveling, and we anticipated us being in lab in our newfound “free-time”, trying to finish up experiments/make whatever we could out of our lab work thus far. Coincidentally, our last major procedure was the same type as we had seen on our very first day of immersion, a mandible reconstruction with a free fibula flap. When I look back at these two experiences, it makes me think of just how far we had come/how much we have experienced in the short amount of time. I walked into the OR with a sense of confidence/familiarity, having accumulated enough knowledge/experience to give context to what’s going on in the room at each stage of the procedure. The surgery played out more or less as was discussed during their video-conference planning meeting the month prior, down to the minute details drilled over and over by the respective surgeons (ENT, Oral, and Plastics (Dr. Spector)). Additionally, for this procedure they were able to hookup the video camera attachment to the microscope, so we could watch with great detail the barely visible movement which Dr. Spector and his fellow were performing in order to isolate/anastamose the respective blood vessels. With the whole room operating smoothly/efficiently, Dr. Spector’s team finished up the operation hours earlier than our first reconstruction (roughly 8AM to 10PM at night).

My final week of immersion was spent in the lab. Initially, I was highly optimistic. After trouble-shooting my MeHA-Megel photocrosslinking protocol (requiring far greater concentration of Inrgacure photoinitiatior/UV exposure time), and undergone training/clearance on the confocal LSM at the college, I was eager to see how the long term viability of seeded HUVEC/encapsulated Pericytes would turn out. Admittedly, my approach in preparing whole subsets of my respective time-points en mass was atypical, and frankly poor experimental design, “placing all my eggs in one basket” if you will. However, given the limited amount of time I had left towards the end, I viewed it as my last chance at obtaining usable data. Alas, it didn’t, and that is all I would like to speak of on that subject if you will… The high degree of cell death could have been due to a number of issues given how substantially I had deviated from my lab’s normal photocrosslinking protocol (e.g. the Irgacure concentration at that point may have been highly cytotoxic). After learning from one of my lab mates from the bioprinting project that they’ve recently been coming into similar issues in photocrosslinking with that newest batch of material I had been using (possibly due to poor methacrylation) I decided to instead finish teaching several new long-term lab members the different assays/imaging/etc. which would be required if Dr. Spector would rather have his students conduct these in vitro studies in NYC versus me conducting them back in Ithaca after more material has been produced (methacrylation/purification is a time intensive process). I outlined the setup/obtained the components necessary for peristaltic pumping systems for conditioning the tissue-engineered microvessel constructs moving forward, as the new lab members were unfamiliar with these systems/process involved. I view it as a necessary component moving forward in preparation of micro-anastamosing these constructs to their rat model. Additionally, the long term viability of the cell lining can be tested at physiologically relevant hemodynamic conditions. I’ll have to wait until after Dr. Spector returns when the three of us (him, my PI, and myself) can discuss the logistics of how to complete these studies moving forward. I am greatly appreciative of the experience overall, having seen so much in the hospital, but am looking forward to getting back into the full swing of things back in Ithaca.

No comments:

Post a Comment